Chennai v Delhi Introduction:
Chennai and Delhi are a case of two halves in the Indian T20 Premier League. On one side, a team like Chennai has qualified for the playoffs in 12 out of the 13 seasons. On the other corner, we have Delhi, which has more often been the case of what could have been. Both teams have boasted some of the biggest names in world cricket over the years, but there has been a stark difference in results.
The difference is even more significant when these two sides have met. Chennai and Delhi have faced off in 23 games at the Indian T20 league, with the former enjoying a win percentage of 65.2%, their second-best against any of the currently active teams. However, there is a silver lining here. Delhi won both the contests they played against Delhi in the 2020 season and will be looking to carry on the momentum come 2021. The 2020 edition was also the first time Delhi reached the final of the Indian T20 league, but the biggest question remains whether they can repeat their heroics.
The ever-enigmatic MS Dhoni will be leading Chennai while youngblood Shreyas Iyer will captain Delhi. Delhi has done plenty of experiments surrounding their captains in the past, but Iyer’s appointment looks to have done the franchise a world of good.
Delhi had an excellent time at the auction as well, where they picked up eight players, including Steve Smith and Tom Curran. Chennai, on the other hand, picked six players in the 2021 auction. Chennai v Delhi might not have garnered a lot of attention in the past, but with both teams having a fresh bunch of players, the contest should be an exciting one to watch.
Chennai vs Delhi – Head to Head Record
Top 3 Performers Comparison and Stats:
Both Chennai and Delhi have several talented players on their side. Be it Rishabh Pant, Kagiso Rabada, and Anrich Nortje in Delhi or Ruturaj Gaikwad, K Gowtham, and Deepak Chahar in Chennai, the two teams are brimming with talent. There will be a lot of performers to keep an eye upon when these two sides meet.
Here we list three top batsmen and bowlers from Chennai and Delhi, each that might do well when the two teams come face to face.
|Batsmen||Runs v Delhi|
|Bowlers||Wickets v Delhi|
|Batsmen||Runs v Chennai|
|Bowlers||Wickets v Chennai|
Chennai vs Delhi, Indian T20 League Schedule 2021
Chennai and Delhi will play two matches this season on 10th April (Saturday) and 21 May (Friday). Both games will be played in the 7:30 PM slot, with Mumbai and Kolkata being the venues, respectively.
|Saturday, 10 April, 2021||Chennai vs Delhi||Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai||7:30 PM|
|Friday, 21 May, 2021||Delhi vs Chennai||Eden Gardens, Kolkata||7:30 PM|
Statistics and Facts of Chennai and Delhi
Both Delhi and Chennai have been a part of the Indian T20 League since the start of 2008 and have seen some prominent names on their jerseys. Here are a few numbers and statistics about the two teams.
- Chennai has a 65.2% winning percentage over Delhi, one of their best against any team in the T20 league.
- Delhi’s top score against Chennai in the T20 league is 198/5. Chennai’s highest score against Delhi is 222/5, which they scored in 2012.
- Both Chennai and Delhi had a good 2021 auction where they picked a number of players.
- Chennai picked K Gowtham (INR 9.75 crore), Moeen Ali (INR 7 crore), Cheteshwar Pujara (INR 50 lakh), K Bhagath Varma (INR 20 lakh), C Hari Nishaanth (INR 20 lakh) and Harisankar Reddy (INR 20 lakh) in this year’s auction.
- Delhi acquired seven players, Tom Curran (INR 5.25 crore), Steven Smith (INR 2.2 crore), Sam Billings (INR 2 crore), Umesh Yadav (INR 1 crore), Ripal Patel (INR 20 lakh), Vishnu Vinod (INR 20 lakh), Lukman Hussain Meriwala (INR 20 lakh), M Siddharth (INR 20 lakh).
- Delhi team for 2021: Shreyas Iyer, Ajinkya Rahane, Amit Mishra, Avesh Khan, Axar Patel, Harshal Patel, Ishant Sharma, Kagiso Rabada, Prithvi Shaw, R Ashwin, Rishabh Pant, Shikhar Dhawan, Shimron Hetmyer, Marcus Stoinis, Lalit Yadav, Anrich Nortje, Daniel Sams, Pravin Dubey, Chris Woakes, Tom Curran, Steve Smith, Sam Billings, Umesh Yadav, Ripal Patel, Ripal Patel, Lukman Hussain Meriwala and M Siddharth.
- Chennai team for 2021: MS Dhoni, Suresh Raina, Ambati Rayudu, KM Asif, Deepak Chahar, Dwayne Bravo, Faf du Plessis, Imran Tahir, N Jagadeesan, Karn Sharma, Lungi Ngidi, Mitchell Santner, Ravindra Jadeja, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Shardul Thakur, Sam Curran, Josh Hazlewood, R Sai Kishore, Krishnappa Gowtham, Moeen Ali, Cheteshwar Pujara, K Bhagath Varma, C Hari Nishaanth, M Harisankar Reddy.
Chennai vs Delhi: Overall Head to Head Stats
Chennai and Delhi have met 23 times in the Indian T20 Premier League. Here is a season-by-season breakdown of their battles.
How will Chennai vs Delhi Stats Help You on MPL?
Both Chennai and Delhi have undergone a number of changes in their setup since last year, so it is always a good idea to refresh yourself before you sit down to create your MPL Fantasy Cricket Team. Chennai and Delhi have played many times in the Indian T20 League, and the statistics here will come in handy when building your fantasy sides. On MPL, you can build fantasy teams for all the Indian T20 Premier League teams and win cash prizes daily. Download the MPL fantasy cricket app today.