It’s arguably one of the most anticipated rivalries that can set the pitch on fire. Both Mumbai and Chennai are among the most successful franchises in the history of the Indian T20 Premier League, boasting a collective tally of 8 titles in 13 editions. Under MS Dhoni, Chennai won their maiden trophy in 2010. It became the first franchise to defend their title in 2011, a feat leveled by Rohit Sharma-led Mumbai as they won the 2019 edition, which was their 4th title with the earlier wins in 2013, 2015, and 2017, and managed to defend the same in 2020. With that, Mumbai has a chance that no other franchise has had since the commencement of the Indian T20 League in 2008 – to make a hat-trick of titular wins. Whether the Men in Blue manage to pull off that feat or get tackled by the Yellow army is something only time can tell.
Chennai vs Mumbai – Head to Head Record
Top 3 Performers Comparisons & Stats
Both Chennai and Mumbai have a history of providing some of the best cricketing actions for the fanatics. Here we have mentioned the top 3 bowlers and batsman from Chennai and Mumbai that you can keep in mind when preparing the team for the MPL Fantasy Cricket league during Indian Fantasy T20 League.
|Bowlers||Wickets vs Mumbai|
|Batsmen||Runs vs Chennai|
|Bowlers||Wickets vs Chennai|
Chennai vs Mumbai, Indian T20 League 2021 (Schedule)
It’s the clash of the titans with both league matches scheduled on the weekend. For the complete schedule for Indian Fantasy T20 League, you can visit here.
|Saturday, 1 May 2021||Mumbai vs Chennai||Arun Jaitley Stadium, Delhi||7:30 PM|
|Sunday, 19 September 2021||Chennai vs Mumbai||Dubai, UAE||7:30 PM|
In the 2020 edition of the tournament, Chennai won the first faceoff against Mumbai by 5 wickets. However, Mumbai bounced by majestically in their second encounter, beating Chennai by 10 wickets.
Statistics & Facts about Chennai and Mumbai
- Mumbai holds the record of the biggest victory margins against Chennai in the Indian T20 League, both in terms of runs (by 60 runs in 2013) and wickets (by 10 wickets in 2020).
- Mumbai has two 200-plus totals against Chennai, both being scores of 202, the first one being scored in 2008 while the second tally was in the 2015 edition. On the other hand, Chennai’s highest score against Mumbai is 208, which came in 2008.
- Among the current lot of cricketers on both sides, Piyush Chawla has bagged the most wickets (19) against Chennai in the history of the Indian T20 League.
- Suresh Raina holds the record for the most number of runs against Mumbai (818), more than any cricketer in the Indian T20 league.
- Chennai made 6 buys in the auction, with Moeen Ali as their most expensive pick with a price tag of INR 7 crores.
- Mumbai picked a total of 7 players, with Nathan Coulter-Nile being their highest bid in the auction for a price of INR 5 crores for this season.
- Chennai team for 2021: MS Dhoni, Ambati Rayudu, Suresh Raina, Dwayne Bravo, Deepak Chahar, Imran Tahir, Faf du Plessis, Karn Sharma, N Jagadeesan, Lungi Ngidi, R Sai Kishore, Mitchell Santner, Sam Curran, Josh Hazlewood, Krishnappa Gowtham, Shardul Thakur, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Ravindra Jadeja, Moeen Ali, K Bhagath Varma, Cheteshwar Pujara, M Harisankar Reddy, C Hari Nishaanth
- Mumbai team for 2021: Rohit Sharma, Suryakumar Yadav, Quinton de Kock, Ishan Kishan, Anmolpreet Singh, Chris Lynn, Aditya Tare, Saurabh Tiwary, Kieron Pollard, Krunal Pandya, Hardik Pandya, Jasprit Bumrah, Anukul Roy, Rahul Chahar, Jayant Yadav, Trent Boult, Dhawal Kulkarni, Adam Milne, Mohsin Khan, Nathan Coulter-Nile, James Neesham, Piyush Chawla, Yudhvir Charak, Arjun Tendulkar, Marco Jansen
Chennai vs Mumbai: Overall Head to Head Stats
As shown above, Mumbai has been victorious on 18 occasions, while Chennai has gained the upper hand on 12 occasions in 30 faceoffs to date. Here’s the year-wise breakdown of Chennai vs Mumbai head to head in the Indian T20 League –
How will Chennai vs Mumbai Stats help you on MPL?
It’s always a battle worth witnessing when Chennai and Mumbai lock horns with each other. Both sides are loaded with power-packed performers that can heat up the contests on MPL fantasy cricket. The Chennai vs Mumbai stats mentioned here will help you provide a fair amount of ideas regarding the players who have done well in the past and could be backed to come up with fantasy points in the coming encounter. You can further read our blogs for updates and if you’re just starting out, read the Tips & Tricks to win at MPL. Download the MPL fantasy cricket app now!