Team Kolkata Introduction
The Kolkata team, one of the first eight teams to be a part of the Indian T20 League, has been among the more successful teams in the league’s history. The franchise has a rich history with captains ranging from Sourav Ganguly to Gautam Gambhir and World Cup-winning skipper Eoin Morgan. They were crowned as champions in 2012 and 2014 and reached the playoffs six times in all. They made it to the playoffs in three successive seasons from 2016 to 2018, before reaching the final in 2021. However, they have mostly remained inconsistent, with new skipper Shreyas Iyer now overseeing the side.
Kolkata Team Origin: Founded in 2008 and based in Kolkata, West Bengal.
Team Owners: Red Chillies Entertainment & Mehta Group
Team’s Last Year Glimpse: In 2022, Kolkata started off pretty ordinary, but the side looked settled. Some sparks here and there saw the side winning six league games and losing eight. They finished seventh on the table.
Where the team currently stands: Kolkata started the 2023 edition with a loss against Punjab at Mohali.
Team’s ex-captains: Sourav Ganguly, Gautam Gambhir, Brendon McCullum, Dinesh Karthik, Eoin Morgan, Shreyas Iyer, Nitish Rana [stand-in captain](present).
Current Support Staff: Venky Mysore (CEO and managing director) Wayne Bentley (Team manager), Chandrakant Pandit (head coach), Abhishek Nayar (assistant coach), David Hussey (mentor), Bharat Arun (Bowling coach), Omkar Salvi (assistant bowling coach), Pravin Tambe (Spin bowling consultant), James Foster (Fielding coach), Kamlesh Jain (Physiotherapist), Chris Donaldson (Strength and conditioning coach).
Home Ground: Eden Gardens, Kolkata
Full List of Kolkata team players for 2023 edition:
Andre Russell, Varun Chakravarthy, Venkatesh Iyer, Sunil Narine, Pat Cummins, Shreyas Iyer, Nitish Rana, Shivam Mavi, Sheldon Jackson, Ajinkya Rahane, Rinku Singh, Anukul Roy, Rasikh Dar, Baba Indrajith, Chamika Karunaratne, Abhijeet Tomar, Pratham Singh, Ashok Sharma, Sam Billings, Aaron Finch, Tim Southee, Ramesh Kumar, Mohammad Nabi, Umesh Yadav,
Top Auctioned Players of 2021
The Kolkata team has a fresh look for the upcoming season. They acquired some handy players at the 2021 Indian T20 League Auction in Chennai. They retained the major core of their players ahead of the Indian T20 League Retentions, while strengthening their team with smart buys in the auction.
- Shakib Al Hasan (All-Rounder) – Rs. 1.5 crore
- David Wiese (All-Rounder) – Rs. 1 crore
- Mandeep Singh (Batsman) – Rs. 50 lakh
- Vaibhav Arora (All – Rounder) – Rs. 60 lakh
- Kulwant Khejroliya (Batsman) – Rs. 20 lakh
- Litton Das (Batsman) – Rs. 50 lakh
- N Jagadeesan (Batsman) – Rs. 90 lakh
- Suyash Sharma (Bowler) – Rs. 20 lakh
Kolkata Indian T20 League 20123 Full Schedule
You can find all the updates about matches, predictions, dream teams, etc., on our blog.
April 1 – Punjab vs Kolkata, Mohali (3:30PM IST)
April 6 – Kolkata vs Bangalore, Kolkata (7:30PM IST)
April 9 – Gujarat vs Kolkata, Ahmedabad (3:30PM IST)
April 14 – Kolkata vs Hyderabad, Kolkata (7:30PM IST)
April 16 – Mumbai vs Kolkata, Mumbai (3:30PM IST)
April 20 – Delhi vs Kolkata, Delhi (7:30PM IST)
April 23 – Kolkata vs Chennai, Kolkata (7:30PM IST)
April 26 – Bangalore vs Kolkata, Bengaluru (7:30PM IST)
April 29 – Kolkata vs Gujarat, Kolkata (3:30PM IST)
May 4 – Hyderabad vs Kolkata, Hyderabad (7:30PM IST)
May 8 – Kolkata vs Punjab, Kolkata (7:30PM IST)
May 11 – Kolkata vs Rajasthan, Kolkata (7:30PM IST)
May 14 – Chennai vs Kolkata, Chennai (7:30PM IST)
May 20 – Kolkata vs Lucknow, Kolkata (7:30PM IST)
Things to know & Facts about the Kolkata team
- The team made it to the play-offs six times and to the final twice.
- The team has never lost a final in the Indian T20 League.
- Australian Brad Hodge and Sri Lankan Ajantha Mendis were bought outside auction in 2008.
- Brendon McCullum made 158 in the opening match of the inaugural season, a hundred that remains the only one to date by a Kolkata player.
- Kolkata made the lowest total in Indian T20 League 2008 when they were bowled out for 67 by Mumbai.
- They won 10 consecutive matches between the 2014 and 2015 Indian T20 League seasons.
- In 2008, they beat Bangalore by 140 runs in the opening game, the biggest margin of victory in an Indian T20 League game for a long time.
- Their big all-rounder, Andre Russell, is the first player to take four wickets in four balls in T20 cricket.
- Russell is also one of the only two players to take a hat-trick and hit a century in the same T20 game, although these records were made for other franchises.
Past Indian T20 League Performance of the Kolkata Team
|2011||Finished 4th in play-offs|
|2015||Finished 5th and failed to reach play-offs|
|2016||Finished 4th in play-offs|
|2017||Finished 3rd in play-offs|
|2018||Finished 3rd in play-offs|
|2019||Finished 5th and failed to reach play-offs|
|2020||Finished 5th and failed to reach play-offs|
|2021||Finished as runners-up|
|2022||Finished 7th and failed to reach play-offs|
How Kolkata team Stats can help you on MPL?
MPL updates you with the latest news and team updates aside from informing you about stats and nuggets from the game that help you build your fantasy team and win matches. All information needed to create a winning fantasy team on MPL will be provided. On the app, you can play multiple fantasy games for cash and win big. It’s a win-win situation as you get to enjoy your favorite matches and earn cash prizes with your fantasy team at the end of the matches.
Eoin Morgan is the present captain of the team.
The home ground of the team is the Eden Gardens in Kolkata.
The team has 45 wins out of 76 matches on the home ground.
The team has won the Indian T20 Premier League twice – 2012 and 2014.
No player of the Kolkata team has won the Purple Cap in any season.
Robin Uthappa won the Orange Cap from this team in 2014.