Team Punjab Introduction
Punjab have had big cricketing names on their side since the commencement of the Indian T20 Premier League in 2008. However, they haven’t been able to capitalize on the potential. The Punjab team made the playoffs in the inaugural season, where they finished at the third spot, and their second playoff appearance to date came during the 2014 season, where they were the runners-up.
Punjab showed great potential in the first halves in 2018 and 2019 but failed to keep the winning momentum in the later stages and failed to make the playoffs.
In 2020, under the new captain KL Rahul, Punjab encountered six defeats in the tournament’s initial leg, with the sole victory coming against Bangalore. They had a reversal of fortunes in the second half in 2020, winning 5 out of 7 matches and narrowly failing to make the knockouts. Punjab is yet to seize a titular win.
Punjab Team Origin: Founded in 2008, Punjab plays their home matches at PCA Stadium in Mohali.
Team Owners: The franchise is jointly owned by Preity Zinta, Ness Wadia, Mohit Burman, and Karan Paul.
Team’s Last Year Glimpse: Punjab finished the season at the 6th spot in 2020. They had lost 6 out of 7 matches in the first half of the tournament but bounced back with 5 wins in a row, followed by losses in their last two league matches against Rajasthan and Chennai.
Where the team stands currently: After yet another half-decent start to their Indian T20 Premier League 2021 campaign, Punjab sits sixth with just three wins from eight matches. They resume their campaign in September.
Team’s Ex Captains: Yuvraj Singh (2008-09), Kumar Sangakkara (2010), Mahela Jayawardene (2010), Adam Gilchrist (2011-13), David Hussey (2012-13), George Bailey (2014-15), Virender Sehwag (2015), David Miller (2016), Murali Vijay (2016), Glenn Maxwell (2017), Ravichandran Ashwin (2018-19), KL Rahul (2020-Present)
Current Coaches: Anil Kumble (Head Coach), Andy Flower (Assistant Coach), Wasim Jaffer (Batting Coach), Damien Wright (Bowling Coach), Jonty Rhodes (Fielding Coach).
Top Auctioned Players in 2021
- Jhye Richardson – INR 14 crore
- Riley Meredith – INR 8 crore
- Shahrukh Khan – INR 5.25 crore
- Moises Henriques – INR 4.2 crore
- Dawid Malan – INR 1.5 crore
- Jalaj Saxena – INR 30 Lakh
- Saurabh Kumar – INR 20 Lakh
- Fabian Allen – INR 75 Lakh
- Utkarsh Singh – INR 20 Lakh
List of all players in the team with the country
- KL Rahul (India)
- Mayank Agarwal (India)
- Chris Gayle (West Indies)
- Mandeep Singh (India)
- Prabhsimran Singh (India)
- Nicholas Pooran (India)
- Sarfaraz Khan (India)
- Deepak Hooda (India)
- Murugan Ashwin (India)
- Ravi Bishnoi (India)
- Harpreet Brar (India)
- Mohammed Shami (India)
- Arshdeep Singh (India)
- Ishan Porel (India)
- Darshan Nalkande (India)
- Chris Jordan (England)
- Jhye Richardson (Australia)
- Riley Meredith (Australia)
- Shahrukh Khan (India)
- Moises Henriques (Australia)
- Dawid Malan (England)
- Fabian Allen (West Indies)
- Jalaj Saxena (India)
- Saurabh Kumar (India)
- Utkarsh Singh (India)
T20 League Schedule 2021 for Punjab Team
|Day & Date||Match||City||Time (IST)|
|Monday, April 12||vs Rajasthan||Mumbai||7:30 PM|
|Friday, April 16||vs Chennai||Mumbai||7:30 PM|
|Sunday, April 18||vs Delhi||Mumbai||7:30 PM|
|Wednesday, April 21||vs Hyderabad||Chennai||3:30 PM|
|Friday, April 23||vs Mumbai||Chennai||7:30 PM|
|Monday, April 26||vs Kolkata||Ahmedabad||7:30 PM|
|Friday, April 30||vs Bangalore||Ahmedabad||7:30 PM|
|Sunday, May 2||vs Delhi||Ahmedabad||7:30 PM|
|Tuesday, September 21||vs Rajasthan||Dubai||7:30 PM|
|Saturday, September 25||vs Hyderabad||Sharjah||7:30 PM|
|Tuesday, September 28||vs Mumbai||Abu Dhabi||7:30 PM|
|Friday, October 1||vs Kolkata||Dubai||7:30 PM|
|Sunday, October 3||vs Bangalore||Sharjah||3:30 PM|
|Thursday, October 7||vs Chennai||Dubai||3:30 PM|
Things to Know & Facts about Punjab Team
- Punjab has made only two playoff appearances to date. They finished at the third spot in the 2008 season while they were the runners up in 2014, topping the league stages with 11 wins in 14 matches.
- KL Rahul’s 132* against Bangalore is the highest score by an Indian cricketer and captain in the history of the Indian T20 League.
- Along with Hashim Amla, KL Rahul has got the joint-most number of centuries (2) for Punjab in Indian T20 League.
- Punjab’s only 10-wicket win to date was during the 2017 edition against Delhi.
- Punjab has been involved in two narrow victories by a margin of 1 run, firstly against Mumbai in 2008 and then against Hyderabad in 2009.
- KL Rahul holds the record for the fastest fifty (14 balls) in the Indian T20 League, which he achieved against Delhi in the 2018 edition.
The best way to win at Fantasy Cricket at MPL is keeping yourself updated with MPL Blog and knowing the Tips & Tricks to selecting players.
Past Indian T20 League Performance of Punjab Team
|2008||Finished third as Semi-Finalists|
|2014||Finished as runners-up|
How can Team Stats help you on MPL?
MPL provides the best statistics and information related to pitch reports, player matchups, weather forecasts, team changes and statistics of the key players that can help you make the strongest fantasy team for the upcoming Indian T20 League. Play multiple fantasy cricket matches on MPL and win exciting cash prizes in the end.
Download the MPL Fantasy App now & Wing Cash Prizes with instant withdrawals.
KL Rahul is currently the skipper of Punjab.
The home ground of Punjab is the PCA Stadium in Mohali.
Punjab has won 30 of its 56 matches played at the home venue.
Punjab is yet to win the Indian T20 Premier League.
Andrew Tye (24 wickets) won the Purple Cap for Punjab in 2008.
Shaun Marsh had scored 616 runs for Punjab in 2008 and was eventually crowned with the Orange Cap. Skipper KL Rahul won the Orange Cap in 2020, amassing 670 runs throughout the competition.