The previous couple of years has seen the advent of online games more than ever. Board games and casual games, in particular, have gained immense popularity. The best part is that anyone can play online board games as it’s easy to play. The pandemic may have moved on, but our fascination for board games hasn’t. And why should it? Playing board games has a lot of advantages too.
Advantages of playing board games:
It goes without saying, the mention of board games means a fun time with friends and family guaranteed. Playing a board game has a lot of benefits too:
Playing board games brings people closer, creates stronger bonds, and you can meet new people too!
- The core function of playing a board game is cooperation. They are generally played between two or more players. Most popular board games require players to win by teamwork. It is the perfect way to spend time in nice company and strengthen bonds with others.
Board games teach you patience and the ability to set goals
- When you’re playing with your friends and family, you need to strategy to make the right moves and patience if you keep losing. A board game teaches you that.
Great for reducing stress and makes for laughter.
- The main point of bonding over board games is to have an enjoyable learning experience. Laughing and having a good time, in general, helps decrease stress.
- The best board games also trigger the release of endorphins, popularly known as “happy hormones.”
Enhances creativity and self-confidence.
- Board games are a perfect opportunity to connect and open up with new people. It also helps to display a creative side of the personality, which proves an advantage for introverts.
- Board games are an amazing tool for shy children and timid adults. Playing helps them to develop stronger senses of individuality and creativity. This leads to greater self-esteem and a feeling of being included and noticed.
Increases brain function.
- Playing itself is an exercise for your brain. Playing multiple games stimulates brain areas responsible for memory formation and complex thought processes for all ages.
- Board games, card games, etc., assists in practicing essential cognitive skills, such as decision making, higher-level strategic thinking, and problem-solving.
You can play board games anywhere at any time.
- One of the greatest things is that board games can be played anywhere and anytime. To take a quick break from work while traveling on a long weekend.
- The possibilities are endless! You may feel excited, adventurous, or even lonely and sad, but there’s always a chance to play and connect with like-minded people.
However, gathering friends and family in person can be a difficult task at times. Asking people to be at the same place simultaneously means a complicated affair of juggling calendars and being available for enough time to play a game from start to finish.
Thanks to the digital world, now you can play these games in their app version too. The most popular games have their online board game version too. This means you can play with your friends remotely and play board games. What’s more, in the digital version, you can engage in multiplayer games, connect in a video call and use the voice and video chat feature, have a new friend group or play against AI players as well. Also, since we’re practicing social distancing, bonding over a table doesn’t really sound like the right thing to do. Luckily for us, many board games (both traditional Indian and new) have adapted to our smartphones and devices.
Let’s have a look at some of the best online board games, where you can use online codenames and have a fun time play with friends online! Here are some of the top ones.
Best Online Board Games to Play
The ever-loved game that brings out the entrepreneur in you. This game is the first choice when it comes to making quick calculations, learning more about investments, and enjoying the thrill of owning houses without the stress of handling real-world business; this is the game. Monopoly is now available in the digital edition, and all you have to do is invest 300 rupees and have access to an app game that is exactly like the board game. You can now play with friends and create a private game too. It has additional features like quick mode as well—app available on Apple and Google App Store.
Ludo is a classic board game with centuries of tradition behind it; now, the digital versions have taken over since the pandemic. Over time, the board game has evolved from playing with family to competing with thousands of players on a smartphone. The rules and strategies remain the same, though. Play online and relive your childhood again on the MPL app. With easy graphics and dynamic features, you can opt for the solo mode as well.
Among the many online board games, Carrom is a popular game available on the MPL app. A game that is super fun and will always keep you on edge. You have a time limit within which you need to shoot your shot before your opponent makes their move. Do your best to beat the clock against other online players! What’s more, you can win amazing perks on the MPL app. It is available for free on Apple and Google Play stores.
This Halloween, gear up for an online murder mystery is that will get those spirits up. The clue is one of those board games online. You have to try and solve the case wherever you are. Roll the dice, make your way around the mansion and ask questions for clues till you make it. You can create private multiplayer games to connect with chums or other Clue fans worldwide. The official version of the app can be downloaded for INR 180 on the Apple or Google store.
In the board game arena, one of the most famous board games is Dominoes. The digital form by Loop Games has three modes, Draw Dominoes (easy, match tile with one of the two ends), Block Dominoes (similar to the previous, but here you’ll have to pass your turn if you run out of options), and Dominoes All Five which is most complex and fun of em all! Download for free on any play store.
Venturing into word games, you can play Boggle if that is your strong suit. You can master your word search skills in single-player mode or beat other players, friends, and family! You can compete in live head-to-head tournaments as well as lightning single-round tournaments if you’re up for the challenge. The game is available for free on the App Store and Google Play.
Another fun game is Scrabble Go if you love crosswords. Another game made popular by Bollywood and Hollywood. Moreover, it’s free! The online version gives you the official board, tiles, and Scrabble word dictionaries. Land a triple word score with a quiz, quartzy, or another high-scoring Scrabble word. You can play with many new game modes, avail yourself of premium features so you can challenge your pals to a competitive match, all for free. Get the game on the App Store or Google Play.
Game of Life
For just 200 rupees, you get to play a virtual game of life. The layout of this game is pretty similar to its board version, with all the same stops along the way. Use your career card to fulfill your wish of becoming an actor or become a millionaire. You can play with multiple players online or have three-player matches. The app also has mini-games and a “fast mode” to help you speed up play! You can download the digital edition on the Apple store or Google play store.
In real life, Mahjong is a popular Chinese game that is played across the world. Mahjong was also present in Microsoft’s Windows Vista and Windows 7 as one of the built-in games. Mahjong is a complex board game that is usually played with multiple tile sets and four players. If you want to try your hand at it and master the game, you can play them online for free on mahjong.com and arkadium.com.
These are the board games that you can play online. Spend your time in an interactive, entertaining, and fun way on MPL!