The Delhi Team is one of the franchise cricket teams of the Indian Twenty20 Premier League. The team had qualified first time for their first final in 2020 after twelve years of the tournament’s inception. In 2019, it also qualified for the playoffs for the first time in 7 years and they followed it up being the runners-up in 2020 and yet another playoff finish in 2021.
After captain Shreyas Iyer had led the side to their first runners-up, finish in the 2020 season, he was replaced by young Rishabh Pant. For the 2023 season, however, Pant is sidelined with injury and David Warner takes his place.
Team Origin: Founded in 2008 and based in Delhi
Team Owners: GMR Group and JSW Group
Team’s Last Year Glimpse: In 2022, the team finished fifth on the points table after qualifying for the playoffs for three consecutive seasons. The team had won 7 matches and lost 7 out of their 14 games.
Where the team currently stands: Delhi has started the 2023 season poorly, losing both their opening games of the season.
Team’s ex-captains: V Sehwag, G Gambhir, KD Karthik, JR Hopes, DPMD Jayawardene, LRPL Taylor, DA Warner, LP Pietersen, JP Duminy, Z Khan, KK Nair, SS Iyer, R Pant (present), David Warner (interim)
Current Coach: Ricky Ponting
Home Ground: Arun Jaitley Stadium (formerly Feroz Shah Kotla), Delhi
In Rishabh Pant’s absence, the team is led by David Warner, a trusted player of coach Ricky Ponting.
Top Auctioned Players of 2023
- Mukesh Kumar – INR 5.5 crore
- Rilee Rossouw – INR 4.6 crore
- Manish Pandey – INR 2.4 crore
- Philip Salt – INR 2 crore
- Ishant Sharma – INR 50 lakh
List of all Players in the Team with Country
David Warner (c), Prithvi Shaw, Ripal Patel, Rovman Powell, Sarfaraz Khan, Yash Dhull, Mitchell Marsh, Lalit Yadav, Axar Patel, Anrich Nortje, Chetan Sakariya, Kamlesh Nagarkoti, Khaleel Ahmed, Lungi Ngidi, Mustafizur Rahman, Aman Khan, Kuldeep Yadav, Praveen Dubey, Vicky Ostwal
T20 League 2021 Schedule for Delhi Team
April 1 – Lucknow vs Delhi, Lucknow (7:30PM IST)
April 4 – Delhi vs Gujarat, Delhi (7:30PM IST)
April 8 – Rajasthan vs Delhi, Guwahati (3:30PM IST)
April 11 – Delhi vs Mumbai, Delhi (7:30PM IST)
April 15 – Bangalore vs Delhi, Bengaluru (3:30PM IST)
April 20 – Delhi vs Kolkata, Delhi (7:30PM IST)
April 24 – Hyderabad vs Delhi, Hyderabad (7:30PM IST)
April 29 – Delhi vs Hyderabad, Delhi (7:30PM IST)
May 2 – Gujarat vs Delhi, Ahmedabad (7:30PM IST)
May 6 – Delhi vs Bangalore, Delhi (7:30PM IST)
May 10 – Chennai vs Delhi, Chennai (7:30PM IST)
May 13 – Delhi vs Punjab, Delhi (7:30PM IST)
May 17 – Punjab vs Delhi, Dharamsala (7:30PM IST)
May 20 – Delhi vs Chennai, Delhi (3:30PM IST)
Things to know & Facts about the Delhi team
- The owners of the Delhi team, GMR Group, bought the team for $8.4 million.
- Ricky Ponting, 3 times ODI World Cup Champion and the most successful captain in cricket, is the head coach of the team.
- The team reached the playoffs in 2008 and 2009, after which it took 10 years for the team to reach the playoffs again in 2019.
- Despite being a strong team, it has never won the title and has finished as runners-up only once in the 2020 season.
- Shikhar Dhawan scored the highest runs for the team in the 2019 season, with a total score of 521 runs.
- The South African player, Kagiso Rabada, took 25 wickets in the Indian T20 Premier League 2019 season.
- The 2020 season for the Delhi team was a battle between the most successful captain Rohit Sharma from Mumbai and the youngest captain Shreyas Iyer from Delhi.
- Delhi has had the most captains across the 13 seasons of the T20 Premier League, with a total of 12 captains.
Know the Tips & Tricks to playing Fantasy Cricket on MPL!
Past Indian T20 League Performance of the Delhi Team
|2008||Finished fourth as Semi-finalists|
|2009||Finished third as Semi-finalists|
|2012||Finished 3rd in the playoffs|
|2019||Finished 3rd in the playoffs|
|2021||Finished as runners-up|
How Delhi team Stats can help you on MPL?
Enjoy your favorite matches on your television screens while you create your fantasy team and play fantasy league on the MPL app. The Delhi team stats provided by MPL are constantly updated to help you make the right decisions while creating your team. You can also keep track of the match score and updates while you play fantasy cricket on MPL. What’s more? You can win cash prizes based on your team’s performance when the match ends.
Shreyas Iyer is the current captain of the team for the 2021 season.
The Delhi team’s home ground is the Arun Jaitley Stadium in New Delhi.
The team won 31 matches out of 70 matches played at the home ground.
The Delhi team has never won the T20 Premier League but finished as runners-up in 2020.
Morne Morkel won the Purple Cap in the team in the 2012 season.
No player from the Delhi team has ever won the Orange Cap in the history of the T20 Premier League.