The Delhi Team is one of the franchise cricket teams of the Indian Twenty20 Premier League. The team qualified first time for the finals in 2020 after twelve years of the tournament’s inception. In 2019, it also qualified for the playoffs for the first time in 7 years. The team led by Captain Shreyas Iyer has never won the title but finished as runners-up in the 2020 season.
Team Origin: Founded in 2008 and based in Delhi
Team Owners: GMR Group and JSW Group
Team’s Last Year Glimpse: In 2020, the team finished as runners-up in 2020 and lost the title to Mumbai. The team won 8 matches and lost 6 matches.
Where the team currently stands: Delhi is currently at the top of the Indian T20 Premier League 2021 points table with six wins from eight games. They will resume their campaign in September.
Team’s ex-captains: V Sehwag, G Gambhir, KD Karthik, JR Hopes, DPMD Jayawardene, LRPL Taylor, DA Warner, LP Pietersen, JP Duminy, Z Khan, KK Nair, SS Iyer (Present)
Current Coach: Ricky Ponting
Home Ground: Arun Jaitley Stadium (formerly Feroz Shah Kotla), Delhi
The team is led by captain Shreyas Iyer and is banking upon the youth for the 2021 season. The team bought 8 players for the new season.
Top Auctioned Players of 2021
- Tom Curran – INR 5.25 crore
- Steve Smith – INR 2.2 crore
- Sam Billings – INR 2 crore
- Umesh Yadav – INR 1 crore
- Ripal Patel – INR 20 Lakh
- Vishnu Vinod – INR 20 Lakh
- Lukman Hussain – INR 20 Lakh
- M Siddharth – INR 20 Lakh
List of all Players in the Team with Country
- Shreyas Iyer (India)
- Rishab Pant (India)
- Ajinkya Rahane (India)
- Prithvi Shaw (India)
- Shikhar Dhawan (India)
- Avesh Khan (India)
- Ishant Sharma (India)
- Anrich Nortje (South Africa)
- Kagiso Rabada (South Africa)
- Pravin Dubey (India)
- Lalith Yadav (India)
- Amit Mishra (India)
- Axar Patel (India)
- Ravichandran Ashwin (India)
- Chris Woakes (England)
- Marcus Stoinis (Australia)
- Shimron Hetmyer (Guyana)
- Sam Billings (England)
- Tom Curran (England)
- Lukman Meriwala (India)
- M Siddharth (India)
- Vishnu Vinod (India)
- Ripal Patel (India)
- Umesh Yadav (India)
- Steve Smith (Australia)
T20 League 2021 Schedule for Delhi Team
|Day & Date||Match||City||Time (IST)|
|Saturday, 10 April||vs Chennai||Mumbai||7:30 PM|
|Thursday, 15 April||vs Rajasthan||Mumbai||7:30 PM|
|Sunday, 18 April||vs Punjab||Mumbai||7:30 PM|
|Tuesday, 20 April||vs Mumbai||Chennai||7:30 PM|
|Sunday, 25 April||vs Hyderabad||Chennai||7:30 PM|
|Tuesday, 27 April||vs Bangalore||Ahmedabad||7:30 PM|
|Thursday, 29 April||vs Kolkata||Ahmedabad||7:30 PM|
|Sunday, 2 May||vs Punjab||Ahmedabad||7:30 PM|
|Wednesday, 22 September||vs Hyderabad||Dubai||7:30 PM|
|Saturday, 25 September||vs Rajasthan||Abu Dhabi||3:30 PM|
|Tuesday, 28 September||vs Kolkata||Sharjah||3:30 PM|
|Saturday, 2 October||vs Mumbai||Sharjah||3:30 PM|
|Monday, 4 October||vs Chennai||Dubai||7:30 PM|
|Friday, 8 October||vs Bangalore||Dubai||7:30 PM|
Things to know & Facts about the Delhi team
- The owners of the Delhi team, GMR Group, bought the team for $8.4 million.
- Ricky Ponting, 3 times ODI World Cup Champion and the most successful captain in cricket, is the head coach of the team.
- The team reached the playoffs in 2008 and 2009, after which it took 10 years for the team to reach the playoffs again in 2019.
- Despite being a strong team, it has never won the title and has finished as runners-up only once in the 2020 season.
- Shikhar Dhawan scored the highest runs for the team in the 2019 season, with a total score of 521 runs.
- The South African player, Kagiso Rabada, took 25 wickets in the Indian T20 Premier League 2019 season.
- The 2020 season for the Delhi team was a battle between the most successful captain Rohit Sharma from Mumbai and the youngest captain Shreyas Iyer from Delhi.
- Delhi has had the most captains across the 13 seasons of the T20 Premier League, with a total of 12 captains.
Know the Tips & Tricks to playing Fantasy Cricket on MPL!
Past Indian T20 League Performance of the Delhi Team
|2008||Finished fourth as Semi-finalists|
|2009||Finished third as Semi-finalists|
|2012||Finished 3rd in the playoffs|
|2019||Finished 3rd in the playoffs|
How Delhi team Stats can help you on MPL?
Enjoy your favorite matches on your television screens while you create your fantasy team and play fantasy league on the MPL app. The Delhi team stats provided by MPL are constantly updated to help you make the right decisions while creating your team. You can also keep track of the match score and updates while you play fantasy cricket on MPL. What’s more? You can win cash prizes based on your team’s performance when the match ends.
Shreyas Iyer is the current captain of the team for the 2021 season.
The Delhi team’s home ground is the Arun Jaitley Stadium in New Delhi.
The team won 31 matches out of 70 matches played at the home ground.
The Delhi team has never won the T20 Premier League but finished as runners-up in 2020.
Morne Morkel won the Purple Cap in the team in the 2012 season.
No player from the Delhi team has ever won the Orange Cap in the history of the T20 Premier League.